Friday, August 28, 2009

Macbeth Act II Vocabulary

Full credit

Vocabulary Word

Definition

Part of Speech

Sentence in Context

Own Sentence

1. Augment

to add to something in order to make it larger or more substantial, or to grow in this way

T. verb, i. verb

“So I lose none / In seeking to augment it, but still keep / My bosom franchised and allegiance clear…” II.i.26–28

His salary is augmented by a small increase due to his good performance.

2. Suborn

to persuade somebody to commit a crime or other wrongdoing, e.g. to bribe another party to tell lies in court

T. verb

“They were suborned: / Malcolm and Donalbain, the king’s two sons, / Are stol’n away and fled…” II.iv.24–26

The Mafia suborned Johnny to kill the target so that he would be respected.

3. Requite

to return in kind a kindness or hurt that somebody has done

T. verb

“That it did, sir, i’ the very throat on me: but I / requited him for his lie…” II.iii.39–40

After my neighbor took me on a fishing trip, I requited him with a bottle of wine.

4. Palpable

so intense as to be almost able to be felt physically

Adjective

“I see thee yet, in the form as palpable / As this which now I draw.” II.i.40–41

The silence following the assassination was almost palpable.

5. Scruple

a moral or ethical consideration that tends to restrain action or behavior; to hesitate to act, or refrain from taking action, because of moral or ethical considerations

Noun, i. verb

“Fears and scruples shake us. / In the great hand of God I stand, and thence / Against the undivulged pretense I fight/ Of treasonous malice.” II.iv.130–133

The ailing patient was in a scruple whether or not to use euthanasia to rid himself of his weakening condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment