Friday, August 28, 2009

Macbeth Act III Vocabulary

Full credit

Vocabulary Word

Definition

Part of Speech

Sentence in Context

Own Sentence

1. Chid

to reproach somebody gently

T. verb, i. verb

“He chid the sisters, / When first they put the name of King upon me, / And bade them speak to him…” III.i.57–59

I chid the Mormon preachers so they would leave my house.

2. Dauntless

unlikely or unable to be frightened or discouraged

Adjective

“’Tis much he dares; / And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, / He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valor / To act in safety.” III.i.51–54

People who fight in wars must be dauntless to not be killed.

3. Jovial

cheerful in mood or disposition

Adjective

“Come on. / Gentle my lord, sleek o’er your rugged looks; / Be bright and jovial among your guests tonight.” III.ii.26–28

The friar was jovial so as to convince me to give him money to clean myself.

4. Malevolence

having or showing a desire to harm others

Adjective

“Of the most pious Edward with such grace / That the malevolence of fortune nothing / Takes from his high respect.”

Serial killers are known to have malevolence towards other people.

5. Verities

something that is true, especially a statement or principle that is accepted as a fact

Noun

“Why, by the verities on thee made good, / May they not be my oracles as well / And set me up in hope?” III.i.8–10

Isaac Newton’s Three Laws of Physics are all verities because all people accept them.

No comments:

Post a Comment