Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pride and Prejudice Vocabulary Part 1

r~ Word
I 1 I Discretion
- Definition (POS) ----~1--- Sentence
, , , , When Elizabeth kindly rejects Mr.
the good Judgment and sensitivity ell'" I h
[2
I
1--;-
4
I
' , 0 inS S marnage proposa , s e
needed to avoid embarraSSing or h d d' .
, sows goo Iscretlon not to
--L-! upsetting others (noun) d enounce h'1 m ru d e I y,
I to make changes to something, After previously being jealous of
A d ~I especially a piece of text, in order Elizabeth, Miss Bingley makes
men to improve or correct it (transitive amends with her by telling her that
_______ _ __ .verb, intransitive verb) ____ Mr, Wickham is not to be trusted.
A ' bl friendly and pleasant to be with Jane and Elizabeth, among others,
mla e (adjective) ______ ~_amiable.
the first of two things or people ,
, d ( d") h I Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy are both
mentlone noun, a Jectlve ; t e , h f " d
Former I d f I h
' h aristocrats; t e ormer IS nIce an
secon 0 two peop e or t Ings t at .
I
' I dances with everyone, whereas the
latter have been mentioned, or that are I h h 'd d I
" atter as too muc pn e an on y
I being conSidered or referred to dances with those that he knows,
_____ ~--- (noun, a~jective_) -----t
I" , Mr. Collins's marriage proposal to
C' 'I I polite, but In a way that IS cold and EI' b h' .. / d Id f h' d
-r _____ +-__ but nonetheless rejected: _ After Jane becomes sick after taking
I to make som
5 ~ __IV _I_ _~ formal (adjective) Iza et IS elVI an 0 - as lone,
ebody feel deeply a horse to Netherfield Park at the
umiliated (transitive
request of her mother, Mrs. Bennet
ansitive verb)
~ , Mortified ashamed and h
verb, intr
___ --+-1 _~~ortified_, __ I Charlotte Lucas has felicity over her
ontentment (noun) I acceptance of Mr. Collins's
I marriage proposal.
h
' I Elizabeth has indignation that
somet Ing seems , ;;~
bl ( ) I human virtues are not being
easona e noun fulfilled.
----
isplaying behaviors In upper class society, common
o be correct or propriety states that men should I
riate (noun) dance all the time during a ball~
eing provoked to Miss Bingley becomes vexed when
ance, anxiety, or Mr. Darcy pays more attention to
5S (noun) Elizabeth than her.
t-=-----1------
I 7 I FeliCity happiness or c
8 I Indignation
anger because
unfair or unr
-
the quality of d
9 Propriety
I
thought t
approp
-- --f---
the state of b
110 Vexation slight annoy
I distre

No comments:

Post a Comment